Sunday, October 22, 2017

Saves the Day Ups and Downs Stay What You Are Under the Boards

SAVES THE DAY
"Ups and Downs: Early Recordings and B-Sides"
"Stay What You Are" (originally released in 2001)
"Under the Boards" (originally released in 2007)
Vagrant Records / BMG


Vagrant records is celebrating their 20 year anniversary by reissuing some real classics on vinyl. The Get Up Kids, Rocket From the Crypt, Senses Fail, Alkaline Trio, Hot Rod Circuit and The Anniversary have all received much warranted treatment already from Vagrant. I need to get the Senses Fail and Alkaline Trio records myself. 

The Saves the Day reissues represent the sixth phase of Vagrant20. The three Saves The Day are now available on high-quality black 180 gram vinyl. This is the first time "Ups And Downs: Early Recordings & B-Sides" has been issued on vinyl.


"Ups and Downs" is awesome as it shows the development of this Princeton NJ band from their influences, most notably New Brunswick NJ's Lifetime. Saves the Day grew from the band Selfer (established in 1994).  Amazing to hear these demos, early tracks and B-sides. I've listened to this LP pretty much non-stop since the vinyl was introduced to my turntable. 

Saves the Day does it right with an album insert that provides a glimpse into the history of the songs. I love it when bands and artists give that peak into the background on these types of releases. This captures the energy of a young band in their beginnings. 

They cover Descendents "Cheer" and Clash "Clash City Rockers". Whomever typed up the liner notes let the spell check over rule the spelling of "Descendants". See, I really do read and love these liner notes!



"Stay What You Are" is Saves the Day's third studio album and demonstrates the bands prowess at writing melodic, emo, driven pop punk. Videos for "At Your Funeral" and "Freakish" are embedded below. The album was the first of the band's discography to be released on Vagrant (first two were on Equal Vision). The album was hugely successful even with critics. If you missed it, give it a chance.  

I previously only had the digital version of this, so I am glad to finally add this to my vinyl collection. 





The track "As Your Ghost Takes Flight" from "Stay What You Are" is one of my favorites and has been said to be inspired by a friend's heroin addiction. 


"As Your Ghost Takes Flight"

The last time that I saw you, August of '99,
I should've had my hammer and a few rusty spikes
to nail you on a wall and use bottles to catch your blood
and display you for the neighbors so they know your time had come.

And I'd drink your blood and feel it dripping down my throat
as it heads for my heart.

And as your body sags and the stench rises in vain,
the people on the street are collecting in dismay.
Before your eyes your head lifts towards the sky
and that's the last thing they'll remember of you.

And I'd drink your blood and feel it dripping down my throat
as it heads for my heart.

You've become a ghost.
You're floating somewhere in between
the waking world and a landscape of dreams.
Well it's nothing but dying.
You've got a grenade stuck in your teeth and you're pulling at the pin.
You're an illusion, just a shadow flickering underneath the sun.

And I'd drink your blood and feel it dripping down my throat
as it heads for my heart.



Skip forward a few years and "Under the Boards" is Saves the Day's sixth studio album. The middle album of a three-part concept: "Sound the Alarm", "Under the Boards" and "Daybreak" demonstrates the continual evolution of the song writing. The layers in the music express a mature sound that still is able to focus on honesty and have a real feel.

My favorite track (though it is difficult to pick a favorite) is "Get F*cked Up".

 "Get F*cked Up"

Watching the moon moving to the ocean floor
Standing on the neighbor's lawn
It's four am on Friday 
All night long I'm dreaming of your loving arms
I'm staring at the fading stars
And waiting for your call

But every time I think about you
I get f*cked up
I feel like all the stars are falling
Inside my heart
Inside my heart

Gone are the days
Staring through the window pane
To watch the world wash away
Down rain soaked gutter drains
No now we're alone
Two lights along a distant shore
Our love the light that leads us home
Away from wasted days

But every time I think about you
I get f*cked up
I feel like all the stars are falling
Inside my heart
Inside my heart

No more waiting for the days
To end so we can run away
To hide the pain beneath the drink
No now we're moving on

And every time I think about you
I get f*cked up
I feel like all the stars are falling
Inside my heart
Inside my heart
Inside my heart
Inside my heart 




So glad Vagrant is taking the time and energy to release these great records by Saves the Day. 

Cheers,
Frank FOE


http://savestheday.com

https://www.facebook.com/savesthedayband

https://twitter.com/savestheday

https://www.instagram.com/savestheday

https://soundcloud.com/savestheday

http://vagrant.com

https://www.facebook.com/vagrantrecords

https://twitter.com/vagrantrecords

https://www.instagram.com/vagrantrecords

No comments:

Post a Comment